Tuesday, February 18, 2014

✎ The Shock of the Fall By Nathan Filer [Hardcover] ✎

The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer Hardcover Book Novel Front Cover
The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer Novel Front Cover
The Author of this Novel Nathan Filer is a registered mental health nurse, a writer and lecturer in Creative Writing at Bath Spa University.

He has worked as a researcher in the academic unit of psychiatry at the University of Bristol and as a mental health nurse on in-patient wards.

He is also a performance poet, contributing regularly to literary events across the UK. His work has been broadcast on television and radio. The Shock of the Fall is his first novel.

The Shock of the Fall comes in the formats:
Hardcover, Paperback, Audio, Audiobook, CD and Audio Download

Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins; First Edition edition (9 May 2013)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0007491433
ISBN-13: 978-0007491438
Product Dimensions: 21.8 x 15.4 x 3.4 cm
Average Customer Review: 4.6 out of 5 stars (279 reviews)
Bestsellers Rank: 80,254 in Books

A few words from the Novel Page 1-2

the girl and her doll

The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer Hardcover Book Novel Page 1
The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer Page 1
I should say that I am not a nice person. Sometimes I try to be, but often I'm not. So when it was my turn to cover my eyes and count to a hundred - I cheated.

I stood at the spot where you had to stand when it was your turn to count, which was beside the recycling bins, next to the shop selling disposable barbecues and spare tent pegs. And near to there is a small patch of overgrown grass, tucked away behind a water tap.

Except I don't remember standing there. Not really. You don't always remember the details like that, do you? You don't remember if you were beside the recycling bins, or further up the path near the shower blocks, and whether actually the water tap is up there?

I can't now hear the manic cry of seagulls, or taste the salt in the air. I don't feel the heat of the afternoon sun making me sweat beneath a clean white dressing on my knee, or the itching of suncream in the cracks of my scabs. I can't make myself relive the vague sensation of having been abandoned. And neither - for what it's worth - do I actually remember deciding to cheat, and open my eyes.

The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer Hardcover Book Novel Page 2
The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer Page 2
She looked about my age, with red hair and a face flecked in hundreds of freckles. Her cream dress was dusty around the hem of kneeling on the ground, and clutched to her chest was a small cloth doll, with a smudged pink face, brown woollen hair, and eyes made of shining black buttons...

Some of the reviews from people


"I've just finished reading part of Matt's story that he's shared with me in The Shock of the Fall and I find myself actually worrying about what life will be like for him from now on. Poignant, heart rending, but at the same time amusing - a total one-off. The author was never present - it was Matt running the show from start to finish. Amazing."


"The book takes you into Matthews world... Which is heartbroken, lost, confused, and much more...
Feeling Matthews life throughout the book, the journey, Simon, the story is incredible."





"A beautiful and tender book, wrestling with very hard truths. I congratulate the author on the superb way he depicts the inner turmoil of a little boy, who already has the seeds of mental fragility embedded. Schizophrenia is complex illness about which we still know very little. It often appears in particularly clever and sensitive children in their teens. Matt is such a child. The characterisation and the dialogue of the novel are beautifully pitched, it is totally believable, touching and splendid. Read it."

You may also like to read
The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

No comments:

Post a Comment